Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Epilogue

I've been all over the world. I've been to each of the continents except for Australia and Antarctica, and I think the only US states I haven't seen are North Dakota, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Hawaii.

But, none of those travel experience can match what it was like following the Protomen on their tour. I know they were probably a bit weirded out by having some fanatic follow them on a motorcycle from city to city, but if they were they never showed it. I decided to make this trip at a difficult time in my life, when I had a lot of idle time on my hands. I'll never be able to thank the band enough for their openness and kindness.

I can't think of another band that I could have seen night after night and not get bored. Each band member is extremely dedicated to his or her position in the band, and they each give 100% every single night. I really don't know how they do it; I was struggling to keep up each day on the road, and I wasn't even performing!

I can't say enough good things about this band. You can tell a lot about a band by their fans, and every single one that I met across the US were first-class people. I met one fan who has the band's logo tattooed on her arm, along with lyrics from some of their songs. I met another who had put one of the band's stickers onto his prosthetic leg, which he removed during the show in order to pump both his fist and his limb into the air during the band's encore. Talk about dedication! Suddenly, following the band around on a motorcycle in order to have the excuse to take a long-distance trip seems like child's play.

This experience went beyond music. Taking my motorcycle across the country allowed me to see a different perspective of America, of a different America than I'm used to seeing. Things are just so much freer outside of New England.

The band are playing a couple of shows in Virginia and Maryland in the next couple of days. I think I might have to hop on my bike and do this again, one last time before the summer ends.

Thanks for reading,
MD

No comments:

Post a Comment