Monday, July 26, 2010


The show in Chattanooga, Tennessee the other night was pretty cool.

The venue was in a strip mall, which brought back memories of playing at Curly's Coffee in Amherst, NH. The venue is part of, or is operated by, a church, confirming my belief that the Protomen are gods among men.

However, the sound at the club was terrible. Despite this major setback the Protomen still kicked ass. The next night's show in Murfreesboro was canceled because, according to Panther, the club blew up. To make up for it, the Protomen played an extended set, even doing an encore that lasted close to 30 minutes.

I returned to the Knight's Inn after the show, getting good use out of the jacuzzi.

Today I rode into Murfreesboro, TN, which is where the Protomen are from. On the way, I passed a sign that said I was near the Jack Daniels Distillery. Figuring it was right off the highway, I thought I'd stop by to check it out. In reality, the distillery is about 30 minutes off the highway. I eventually got there and checked out the museum, but didn't end up taking a tour. The tour is about an hour long, I would have had to have waited for one to begin, the tour is mostly outdoors, and I had already taken a chunk of time getting to the distillery. Still, the museum was pretty interesting.

I finally rolled into Murfreesboro and decided to check out the Middle Tennessee State University -- what a nice campus! I guess their school of Mass Communications is one of the best in the United States, and they have an excellent recording program. Don't believe me? Listen to any of the Protomen's recordings.

I hung low in Murfreesboro for the night, making up for lost sleep over the past week. I ate at a Mexican restaurant called Acapulco's, then hung low on Sunday as well at the motel, but did get a chance to go to Nashville to check out the 1979 Recording Studio - which is an awesome, 7,000 square foot all analog recording studio. The staff there were really kind to show me around.




That night I had dinner at a Hardee's, which to me is nearly identical to Carl's, Jr. I wonder if they're owned by the same company or something. A kid that worked there talked to me about motorcycles for awhile, then I headed back to the motel.

Did some laundry this morning where a guy who apparently hangs out there every day talked to me about his upstart ethanol business, motorcycles from the 1970's I've never heard of, and football players from probably two generations ago. It was kinda weird, how he kept going on, but at least it passed the time, somewhat...

Now I'm hanging at a Wendy's in Nashville, watching the skies for rain, and planning my route to Lousiville, Kentucky.

2 comments:

  1. Last guy to talk to you at Columbia, here:

    Carl's Jr. bought Hardees some time ago (something I am still upset about), and slowly absorbed Hardee's menu items into itself while also slowly pushing its own menu items on to Hardee's. Hardee's used to "Charco-broil" its burgers (with Charcoal!). Now the only thing left is the Chicken and some locations which still use the ice cream to make milkshakes (or just sell you delicious ice cream). I will admit I like the new fries, but then again I'm pretty sure they just bought the non-curly fries Arby's used to have. Blleeeech.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks for the info. Sorry about the absorption, I'm kind of a Carl's Jr. fan but it's too bad I'll never know what Hardee's was like before.

    Thanks for reading,
    -MD

    ReplyDelete